Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Opi-MINION Writing

So how many of you are in full back-to-school mode??  I have a conference tomorrow then I finally get into my classroom on Thursday.  My first day is the 13th and my kiddos start the 17th.  This summer just FLEW by!  I'm feeling really inspired though to start a new year!

I have been working on spicing up some of the lessons this summer.  I'm trying to push myself to think out of the box a little more and step out of my comfort zone.  Y'all, it is not easy for me!!!!!  Hopefully, you find some of my new ideas fun and helpful :)

  I found this book at Walmart a couple of weeks ago and thought, "What kid doesn't love Minions?"
 

With the new movie that came out this summer, I know my kids will be buzzing about it so I knew I had to create a lesson.  This book lends itself PERFECTLY to opinion or persuasive writing!  The end just leaves the reader wondering who the Minions will find for a despicable master.  Seriously...what kid would not be excited?
After reading the book to the class, I'd have my kids think about despicable (of course go over this word) villains they know.  This could be ANYTHING that would really qualify as an evil character from a movie, a book, TV show, aggressive animal etc.  As long as they can come up with three reasons and explain them.  This is their opinion after all ; )

I created this graphic organizer to aide in the process since I created this for 2nd graders, they definitely need a place to organize their thoughts.


When I teach about the pre-writing process, I tell them that they are just writing down a few words so they know what they want to say on their rough draft.  I often have the kids write lists as their pre-writing step as this is a time to just get down ideas.  I don't want them worried about spelling and perfect sentences at this point.  This is why I don't have a ton of space for writing...it's just quick thoughts!

After they go through the whole writing process and they have their final drafts, they will put together an actual Minion.  I mean, you can't write about Minions without creating one!!!  

The final draft becomes the Minion goggle.  This example is one I quickly put together just so you could get an idea of the final product.  You can add arms, legs and even a cover for the final draft with an eyeball.  I love the fun writing crafts and creating things to match their writing is important, but I would rather my students spend more time on quality writing than crafting.  So, I try to make the crafts fun for the kids, but quick!  




I created the mouth, final draft paper and the goggle strip which you can see here.


Some modification ideas would be that instead of the final draft just having lines for writing, you can modify this for Kindergarten and 1st by having space for a picture of their villain and a few lines for a one to two sentence opinion/persuasive statement.

I can't wait to use this writing this year!  I plan on reading the book to them in Minion goggles just to make it a little more interesting and special.  

You are free to use any of these resources and I promise that I'll make these posts a little more fancy as I go along.  There's a lot learn about blogging! PHEW!  

Have a fantastic start to your year!  Be on the look out for my classroom updates this week :)

Thanks for reading,
Kelly










No comments:

Post a Comment