Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Classroom Tour and Behavior Management

Hey everyone!!  I've been sooooo busy getting my classroom ready and the last details on my wedding.  I wanted to be done with my room last week, but seriously, I don't know who I was kidding thinking I could get it done in two days!  I still have a little more final touches, but I wanted to give you all a tour.  Hope you all enjoy!  


I started with a "rustic" theme and ended with "rustic, chalkboard, colorful"ish room!  (Is that really anything at all?) I don't really have a theme, I suppose. Haha.  In the front of the room, I will be adding a small stage!  I got that idea from the amazing teachers at the Ron Clark Academy :). If you all haven't checked them out, you better!!  

I also added a new whole group behavior system this year.  This idea was adapted from Hope King...basically the teacher I want to be!!!  

The sign has locks pinned to it.  I was going to use real locks, but with the burlap, it was too difficult, so I found some crafting locks and pinned them to the burlap.  The kiddos will "unlock" these locks when they demonstrate positive behavior as a whole group. They can only unlock one a day and we keep track of their behavior using smileys and frownies.  (This is a Whole Brain teaching concept). When the kids are displaying positive and appropriate behavior, they get a smiley. When they are not, they get a frownie.  If they win in smileys at the end of the day, they unlock a lock.  When all 10 locks are unlocked, they earn a key.  When they earn 3 keys, they to "unlock their perk" or a little party.  The box has 4 different parties they can earn and we choose blindly so it's a surprise as to what they get.  Now, they can get locks put back on if they have more frownies at the end of day and nothing happens if it is a tie. 

Hope King did something a little different with hers...check hers out a elementaryshenanigans.com. I changed it a bit to fit my grade level and taste.  I can't wait to use it and get this year started!!  I hope you enjoyed my classroom...I'm pretty happy with it this year :) 

Happy New Year all!! 

Kelly








No comments:

Post a Comment